- LONG XUYEN – Cochinchina
- 1. Author
WRITER – PhD. in history NGUYỄN MẠNH HÙNG !we call En-VersiGoo – was founded by PhD. Hung in September 2019 to convey all his research articles over 40 years ago to serve Readers in the world who want to study about the history and the culture of Vietnam.
- 2. Content
The province of Longxuyen [Long Xuyên] is bounded by the provinces of Chaudoc [Châu Đốc], Rachgia [Rạch Giá], Cantho [Cần Thơ], Sadec [Sa Đéc] and Tanan [Tân An], and occupies a surface of 120.432 ha in the western part of Cochin-China.
Situated but little above the level of the sea, the yearly inundations cause a great deal of inconvenience to the province. Its climate is relatively healthy. Two small hill-ranges breack the monotony of its rice-fields; the nui Sap [núi Sạp] (86m high) and the nui Ba The [núi Ba Thê] (210m) are the highest elevations in this range, the quarries of which are worked. Two large rivers cross the province, the Bassac [Bassac] and the Mekong [Mê Kông]. The principal town is connected by several high-roads with Saigon [Sài Gòn] via Cantho [Cần Thơ], Vinhlong [Vĩnh Long] and Mytho [Mỹ Tho], with Saigon [Sài Gòn] via Sadec [Sa Đéc] and Mytho [Mỹ Tho], with Rachgia [Rạch Giá], with Chaudoc [Châu Đốc] by the road “des Administrateurs” and by the Tritone-road. Automobile services assure daily postal services and traffic to Cantho [Cần Thơ]. Numerous canals dissect the province. River Navigation by boats of the “Messageries fluviales” and Chinese boats facilitate daily intercourse between Longxuyen [Long Xuyên] and Saigon [Sài Gòn]. Longxuyen [Long Xuyên] is connected with Pnom Penh [Pnôm Pênh] by a service of boats sailing four times a week. There is a daily service to Chaudoc [Châu Đốc] by water, excepting Wednesdays-single journey one way, and return journey Thursdays. To Rachgia [Rạch Giá] every day.
The European quarter is situated on an island and separated from the native and Chinese quarters. The principal buildings of the Administration and European residences are: The Inspection-Hall erected in 1905 with offices. The Hospital, comprising pavilions, rooms for the physician and appartments for nurses. The Court of Justice, and residences of the president of the Court and on the judge. The Treasury-Office with appartments for the treasurer. The Post and Telegraph Offices with appartments for the Postmaster. The appartments of the Vice-Administrator and that of the manager of the Public Works, and of the clerks. The School building with appartments for the head-master. The appartments of the police and of the civil guard. The Custom House is situated at Myphuoc [Mỹ Phước] and contains the appartments of the Revenue officer. The Bungalow near the docks of the “Messageries fluviales” is a comfortable building with 8 bedrooms and a large central hall. Close to it is the club house with a Library for the Europeans.
Among the works of art we have to note: The draw-bridge built in 1899 crossing the canal that connects Rach Longxuyen [rạch Long Xuyên] and Bassac [Bassac]. The bridge “Henry”, constructed in 1892 over the Rach Longxuyen [rạch Long Xuyên] (system Eiffel). This bridge measures 176m,80. The bridge of Thotnot [Thốt Nốt] of the same type, measuring 138m.
BAN TU THƯ